Cumbria Weather Forum
 Weather chat and discussion for Cumbria - Established 2nd November 2009

Index  • Wiki  • FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:20 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Local Climate Impact Profile - Help needed 
 Post subject: Re: Local Climate Impact Profile - Help needed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am 
Professor

Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2
wmb wrote:
I think one hurdle is finding Cumbrian stations with continuous records for a reasonable length of time.

Off the top of my head I can't think of that many that would have 30 years of more of data.

Thats a fair point. Newton Rigg would be the best place and I understand that most of their records ( in a simplied form) are all the Met Office website . Aspatria was another site but it was closed down a few years ago. Shap, Spadeadam, Warcop are all relatively new.

Has anyone ever got in touch with that bloke at Edenhall, his data appears in The Herald one a month and I think there is an observer at Wetheral but I havent been able to track him down either

Imagehttps://twitter.com/#!/pacrabtree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm 
Senior Climatologist

Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV
The chap at Wetheral is called Burnham Hodgson, but I haven't spoken to him for a while and I think he'd been poorly.

Anne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:01 pm 
Weather Nut

Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2
Anne - good points, well made.

Geography - my best and favourite subject - only did it for one yr and got a grade A 'O' level - should have done far more than I did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm 
Professor

I have spoken to Phil this morningin my opionon appears a worthy cause to support, if that is the correct termanology. At this stage he needs a good list of weather events that have happened in Cumbria over the last 30 years, eg Carlisle Floods 2005, the more varied they are the better and anywhere in the county, again the more area they affected the better.

I am happy to collate the list in the first instance and then perhaps add a little more detail

So if OK with everyone I can start a new thread where we can list of the known major weather events for the last 30 years, if the list starts to get very long, we can have a vote on the top ten perhaps or keep the list on this thread

Please discuss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm 
Professor

Anne wrote:
The chap at Wetheral is called Burnham Hodgson, but I haven't spoken to him for a while and I think he'd been poorly.

Anne

Sorry to hear that, his he on email ? perhaps he could join the forum ? either way he may be a good contact to know if he has had weather records for a while.

Geography ? - I did a course called 16+, fortunatley I got an "A" aswell, tried it at A level but to much human Geography in the course and I lost interest in the second year and made a mess of the exam, I'm to embarrased to say what grade I got. ( I wish there was a spell checker on this forum)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:50 pm 
Chief Area Forecaster

Altitude: 7m
Paul C wrote:
I have spoken to Phil this morningin my opionon appears a worthy cause to support, if that is the correct termanology. At this stage he needs a good list of weather events that have happened in Cumbria over the last 30 years, eg Carlisle Floods 2005, the more varied they are the better and anywhere in the county, again the more area they affected the better.

I am happy to collate the list in the first instance and then perhaps add a little more detail

So if OK with everyone I can start a new thread where we can list of the known major weather events for the last 30 years, if the list starts to get very long, we can have a vote on the top ten perhaps or keep the list on this thread

Please discuss

Think we need to go back much further than 30 years, I have info going back to the early 1800's
mostly historic Carlisle floods. Which I'll get together, maybe better to start a new thread for this
one Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:07 pm 
Chief Area Forecaster

Altitude: 40
Another geography graduate, shame about all that stupid human geography stuff which you could just make up anyway ;)

Still had to do some of it in first year at Uni doing a science degree, all I can remember is some blokes market place theorem about how villages and town arrange themselves in some sort hexagonal arrangement. Even better some body found somewhere in China that if you drink too much rice wine, stand on your head and squint without your glasses the local towns and villages sort of look like they may fall into this pattern. :roll:

I got bored of geography by the end of second year, too much essay writing and reading stuffy boring papers - not enough hands on stuff which is what I like .

Only chose it as I was lazy and wanted to do an easy subject! Wish I'd done maths or meteorology now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:29 pm 
Weather Nut

Paul - I have been looking on the web at rainfall data and curiously on the Netweather.tv sites forum, somebody as posted all the rainfall data for Stye head and Sprinkling tarn - he owns a complete set of the British rainfall journels.
I'm sure that these figures would be useful and whilst so far i have only had a quick glance, it does seem that the figures are fairly steady, the odd wet year, the odd dry one.
there are some replies to his post and some chap posted Amblesides rainfall figures for a particularly wet year in the 1950's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 pm 
Weather Nut

had this e-mail request today:

"Darren,
I'm currently in contact with someone from University of Newcastle who is providing advice about crops suitable for the proposed anaerobic digester plant. Is it possible for you give me annual rainfall figures for this area i.e. Lyvennet Valley from Gilts (south of CR) to Barnskew (north of MM)? I don't think it has to be really precise. I'm sure just this area will be fine."

This is what Phil referred to in his reply to my somewhat blunt post. My village is exploring the possibility of getting one of these - don't know why the crops have to grown 'on-site' particularly in one of the Uk's most productive dairy areas - but hopefully my data may help them - somtheing else to tell the Mrs. about when she has a go at me re me and 'the weather'.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2