Cumbria Weather Forum
 Weather chat and discussion for Cumbria - Established 2nd November 2009

Index  • Wiki  • FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Local Climate Impact Profile - Help needed 
 Post subject: Local Climate Impact Profile - Help needed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

MOVED by ADMIN - (thought it best for a fresh topic)

Dear Paul and colleagues
As climate change officer for Cumbria County Council, one of my roles is to try and gather information about some of the trends (means and extremes) of weather in our County which might then inform how we consider planning to adapt both to existing weather threats and also to the possibilities / probabilities of increasing occurrences of weather extremes and changing means (rainfall, drought, cloud, wind, sun and so on).
I have read some of the debate on the forum pages about global warming with interest, though I do not have the time to involve myself in it. I must leave this to other scientists.
I'd like to concentrate instead on establishing if there is anyone in the County or in your network who might be able to gather up some information over the last 30 + years which indicates when and what occurred in terms of extreme events, and also of any 'significant' changes in mean temp / seasonal rainfall etc.
We have been in contact with the Met Office who were exceptional in their lack of response!
In any case, we prefer to use local experts if possible.
We recognise that gathering up such information could be a little time consuming (though perhaps someone has this at their fingertips already?)! Either way, we have a small pot of 'thank you' funds to dedicate towards meteorological equipment, training, software or similar for anyone or for a network that can provide this information.
The end goal is to produce a Local Climate Impact Profile which is likely to be a very high level (data wise) picture of the nature of extreme and mean weather events in our County ove the past 30+ years.
Clearly we have the UKCIP 09 projections to help, but these are not as comprehensive and detailed as we would like, if possible.
Please could you pass this email on to any of your colleagues who might wish to help. The work would be aknowledged in any documentation and reports and of course, we would be happy to discuss the 'thank you' 'donation' to whoever helps.
Many thanks
Phil Davies 01228 221032 phil.r.davies@cumbriacc.gov.uk

Post subject: Re: Local Climate Impact Profile - Help needed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm 
Professor

Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Hi

I thought I would move this to a seperate area where we can discuss it further.

I for one dont mind helping out. I have helped out a few over the last few years carrying out assignments etc for Uni courses, wind farm etc. Naturally the thought of a little cash bonus would also be handy :D

At my station I only have data for the last 10 years. I know Carl at Drumburgh has data going back into the 1990,s. We also have access to alot of data from Carlisle 1960-1991 ( I think) ontop of that we have the Cumbria Weather Reports going back to 1969 .

Can you explain what further information you are wanting and it what format - perhaps as a group we may be able to sort something out ?

Imagehttps://twitter.com/#!/pacrabtree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:27 pm 
Weather Nut

Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2
Paul,
I personally do not have or have access to the data that the chap is requesting.
However, I find it somewhat intriguing (and to be honest, annoying for several reasons) that a Climate change officer does not have possession of or access to such info'.
I will make the assumption that all county councils have such a post, as he networked with them to find out what they have done to obtain the info'?
It is obviously a personal decision for you all to make, should you have the info' that he requires, what i have is on my site and hence anyone can print that off, but if you could even get the price of a years website hosting fee out of it, then why not?

If all else fails he could enquire with the university of East Anglia, they have reliable records/reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 pm 
Senior Forecaster

Altitude: 140
i had many emails from CCC and Eden Disrict asking me about rain and wind trying to get people to cycle to work and stuff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Thanks Paul C for your helpful response. Much appreciated.
As you may know, a Local Climate Impacts Profile or LCLIP is a crude but effective awareness raising mechanism to help communities, businesses and local authorities gain a better understanding of their current vulnerabilities to weather and climate. Irrespective of climate change (though clearly if there are indeed trends, acknowledging these trends is part of the process of assessing future vulnerabilities), it is useful for any area to gain a better appreciation of the consequences of extreme weather events. A bit like disease or obesity, the impacts of weather are nothing new to society, but as we continue to build on flood plains, concentrate our sewerage treatment, host more festivals or depend more on key transport routes - it might be suggested that we are intensifying our economic and domestic exposure to weather, rather obliviously. Yes, the climate change debate is fuelling the pressure to assess the impacts of weather, but even setting this aside, it is clear that the public and public services have much to gain from being able to plan better for weather events. Most reports indicate that we tend to respond to and pay for the impacts rather than plan to minimise the impacts in the first place (again, similar to how we have historically related to disease).
The first step in assessing whether the risks are significant or not is to look back at the records and see how we have coped in Cumbria in the past. So one element is to carry out desk top research into which weather events in Cumbria were significant enough to be reported in our local newspapers. Another element is to interview those people involved in emergency services, transport, Environment Agency, United Utilities, tourism etc to gather information about their own records, the impacts of severe events and the responses these organisations have taken. It is clearly a 'picture' that we wish to develop, not a mathematical model!
Similarly, this 'picture' would be greatly augmented by weather data from across the County, showing some indication of the extremes experienced in the last 10 - 30 years. The focus is not as much on trends as it is on extremes. No doubt in carrying out the literature review, there will be weather statistics included in the journalists' report. However, I notice from your own Brampton website that you have already compiled some very interesting extreme event data and have embarked on gathering some information from across the county. The shere volume of information that you and your colleagues have collected over the years is very impressive indeed.
So....I would be very keen to discuss whether you would be interested in taking a trawl over the other records in the County and collating some figures, to provide at least a background to the report on the impacts themslves? If you would like to call me on 01228 221032 I can call you back so we can discuss in more detail the nature of the request and also what we can offer you in return, remuneration wise.
Thanks again.
Phil Davies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:16 pm 
Professor

Altitude: 117m
Phil

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have often found we recact to the weather, rather than plan beforehand. Its very difficult thing to do. If you take Cockermouth for example, it was clear to many that the heavy rain was going to causing problems. But could you realstically evacuate the town 2 days before it started raining ? - possibley not, especially if you have had a few false warnings for nothing. A bit similar to that great film "Dante Peak". Hope I have spelled it right !

I think some of our members fit quite nicely into your task to interview people, Must be a correlation between emergencies services and the weather ( cant think why) :D

I will try and give you a ring in the next few days, work permitting

Imagehttps://twitter.com/#!/pacrabtree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:31 pm 
Weather Nut

Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2
I would have thought that (if you are not already) you would want to join in with the de-briefs that the councils/emergency services/assorted agencies have following such events.
I believe that the Nov' floods debrief as already happened, maybe you were on it? If not and it is possible that they may have further de-briefs, you should at least attend one to get a flavour of what is discussed to see if it would benefit you for any such future events, when obviously there would be further de-briefs, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 pm 
Chief Area Forecaster

Altitude: 40
I think one hurdle is finding Cumbrian stations with continuous records for a reasonable length of time.

Off the top of my head I can't think of that many that would have 30 years of more of data.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:39 pm 
Senior Climatologist

Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV
My weather records for Scotby go back to 1987. (I have previous records for Burstwick, East Yorkshire). My records are not as detailed as 'official' records, being based on a once-a-day observation. You are welcome to quiz me on them if you wish but mostly they are in written books and not on computer.

HOWEVER, in my humble opinion .....
1. Weather records are just that - records of what has been. They do not in any way tell us what it might be like tomorrow, next month, next year or next century. The British weather is predictable only in so much as it is unpredicatable. Witness the 'barbeque summer' and 'mild winter' we were supposed to have recently.
2. 30 years is nowhere near long enough to look for trends. I would suggest at least 200 years ..... ask me about it then!!!

Anne
(Whose only qualification is that many moons ago I graduated in, and taught Geography)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am 
Chief Area Forecaster

Altitude: 7m
I have 20 years of data from my site, plus Carlisle RAF 14MU data from
1960 to 1990. So feel free to go through it all, at no cost!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next