WINTER 1962-63 - the 50th Anniversary

Officially sourced list Cumbrian Weather Records
darrog
Weather Nut
Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2

WINTER 1962-63 - the 50th Anniversary

Post by darrog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

Next year (2013) marks the 50th anniversary of the 'Worst Winter of the century' and what was the coldest for some 200 yrs (there seems to have been plenty of them in the C18th.
some of you will remember it and some of us weren't born until after.

I have spoken with the Cumberland+Westmoreland Herald and they intend to re-publish the book 'The Worst winter of the century' that they produced in 1963 - this is a superb photographic account of that winter.

No doubt 2013 will be full of recollections, books, this day in history pieces, comparisons and some meteorological people will no doubt make some money at the same time - don't blame them.

Now I'm no historian, but what I will be doing and you may think it worthwhile enough to do yourselves, is to put a little item in my local parish mag asking if anyone has any 'hard data' of the event.
I know of people who can first hand accounts of the impacts, their estimation of snow depths, etc and i will get these as well.

any other suggestions welcome - but think ahead as to what you/we might want to do to mark the occassion.
Darren Rogers - he who submits the most interesting posts, AKA Mr Data
Maulds Meaburn

Anne
Senior Climatologist
Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV

Re: WINTER 1962-63 - the 50th Anniversary

Post by Anne » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

I do remember it! I was living in Darlington at the time. However because I was a teenager I can only remember things like loads of fun sledging and snowballing.

Anne

Return to “Cumbrian Weather Records Database”