New Stations !

Officially sourced list Cumbrian Weather Records
Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

New Stations !

Post by Paul C » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm

I have been in touch with the Met Office today, they are kindly going to send me Monthly data from Alston and also Great Dun Fell !! starting next month, should be interesting in the winter. There are a few other stations available but as yet they have patchy or late data, if these become more reliable they will also be added.

rjd1000
Area Forecaster
Altitude: 140m
Weather Station: Manual

Re: New Stations !

Post by rjd1000 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Paul any idea where the other stations are?

I remember the Alston one recorded -5c in may and was the UK's lowest may temp i think, do you know where it is exactly?

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 pm

rjd1000 wrote:Paul any idea where the other stations are?

I remember the Alston one recorded -5c in may and was the UK's lowest may temp i think, do you know where it is exactly?
Alston - YES - basically just on the outskirts of the town just off the A689 set back off the road by about 200yards - I have a grid ref if reqd

As for the other ones, they were in the SE of Cumbria but The Met office have said that the data at this time is unreliable and often late so not sharing with us.

rjd1000
Area Forecaster
Altitude: 140m
Weather Station: Manual

Post by rjd1000 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Very interesting Paul!

One questions why the Met Office even use that data if its so unreliable, many non Met Office sources such as on here have reliable data.

Are they sites like yours and Carls with all the official kit, because if so there's no reason it should be unreliable / if not why are using it in the first place i.e non standard data. Very Odd

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 am

I think the data is OK, but from the sounds of it doesn't arrive on time like myself and Carl, we have a "duty" to report everyday where others it may arrive at month end or several weeks afterwards. At this stage I don't believe their equipment is standard and perhaps is just rainfall data so they have decided not to pass it on to me. If I hear anything else I will let you know.

Return to “Cumbrian Weather Records Database”