Cumbria's Wettest Winter

Officially sourced list Cumbrian Weather Records
darrog
Weather Nut
Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2

Cumbria's Wettest Winter

Post by darrog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:56 am

I'm slightly surprised that I couldn't find anything on the forum regarding the winter of 2013-14.
There is a little piece on my website regarding this winter and which also appeared in 'Weather Eye'.
Widely reported as the wettest on record, but not everywhere - and I have just located some historic data that further challenges the claim of 'wettest ever.'

Using the Appleby rainfall data for 1891-2013/14, this last winter was just the wettest - but I now have all monthly rainfall data for Appleby from June 1856.

And of course sods law is that the winter of 1868-69 was wetter, just, with 501.7 mm, beating the 498.5 mm of 2013-14.

The British Rainfall Guides for 1868+69 were still a little in their infancy back then and I can only find from them that those 3 winter months were indeed wet -the problem will be finding another station from 1868-9 (and its data) that was still operating in 2013-14 to try and make a comparison

However, if you get asked what was the wettest ever winter in Cumbria, the answer was already unclear and complicated and as now become even murkier - although I do know the answer for a 157 year period in Appleby!r
Darren Rogers - he who submits the most interesting posts, AKA Mr Data
Maulds Meaburn

darrog
Weather Nut
Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2

Re: Cumbria's Wettest Winter

Post by darrog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:59 am

Hopefully soon I will have updated the 'Appleby' page on my website with all this new data, already a few interesting points have cropped up and just need a bit more work on, eg: the top three wettest years and frequency of dry, very dry, average, wet and very wet years, when compared to other sites.
Once done (maybe tomorrow) I will put the link on this page.
Darren Rogers - he who submits the most interesting posts, AKA Mr Data
Maulds Meaburn

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Re: Cumbria's Wettest Winter

Post by Paul C » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:46 pm

viewforum.php?f=54

Its tucked away in the Archive marked - do not open as it was rubbish

Return to “Cumbrian Weather Records Database”