Floods in Cumbria

Officially sourced list Cumbrian Weather Records
Anne
Senior Climatologist
Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV

Re: Floods in Cumbria

Post by Anne » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Darren, I have found some flooding reports for you and saved them. I will make them available on my Dropbox account, I hope the link works!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkthkr8dgriw ... TUhfa?dl=0
I will leave this link open for a limited time.

'Local to Cumbria' newspapers are represented from 1801 - 1867 (Carlisle Journal) 1816 - 1897 (Carlisle Patriot) and 1818 - 1898 (Westmorland Gazette). There may be others. Later dates have events reported in other regional papers. I found it quite interesting the way the papers of those days were set out. Flood events just come as a fairly jumbled selection of any news and not much seems to be made of them.

I did a search on 'Appleby, floods', and at first missed the 1822 event because it was described as an inundation! I recommend that you try a month's sub to the British Newspaper Archive for £12.95 and have a concentrated go at searching yourself. It can be quite frustrating but you learn what works best. Here is a link https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co. ... /subscribe

Anne

darrog
Weather Nut
Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2

Post by darrog » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Anne - fantastic and very much appreciated - something to keep me busy with for a while.
Obviously far better that it is searchable and a very good tool for research.

I think that to go any further back than what you have will be next to impossible as you are then going by chance of finding a contemporary account in a journal, parish or church register, private letters, etc

but again many thanks and I will probably use that newspaper archive at some point.
Darren Rogers - he who submits the most interesting posts, AKA Mr Data
Maulds Meaburn

Anne
Senior Climatologist

Post by Anne » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:41 pm

Great, glad the link worked. Anyone else wanting the articles, I will close the link tomorrow but if you miss it just ask me for a copy.
Anne

Carl M
Assistant Professor
Altitude: 7m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by Carl M » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks Anne just downloaded - will make interesting reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drumburgh 7m AMSL (Solway Estuary)
http://www.coggabata.co.uk/weather.html

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by Paul C » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Anne - the link isnt working for me 404 error ?

Would it work for snow reports as well as flooding.

Anne
Senior Climatologist

Post by Anne » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Paul just email me and I'll send the link. I didn't want to leave it open to the world for too long!

Yes you can search on any criteria. The newspaper database I use is provided by FindmyPast, a genealogy supplier. Usually I would be searching on people's names but youcan use key words too and narrow down the field to the region you need. Sadly the Cumberland/Westmorland papers only seem to be included up to about the 1890s but big events would be widely reported in other papers.

I would really recommend a month's sub to the British Newspaper site I mentioned above. It has the same selection of papers as FindmyPast so you could try it out for yourself.
Anne

Return to “Cumbrian Weather Records Database”