Weather Warning Survey !!

Analysis of the weather warnings issued by the Met Office
Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Re: Weather Warning Survey !!

Post by Paul C » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Well the last warnings were very poor, appreciate it may have been difficult top predict but apart from 1cm in Lowick I haven't heard of any snow reports in Cumbria today.
2/10 for the last effort.

Anyway another warning has popped up today for snow on Wednesday - I dont think it will deliver much and if it does only temporarily
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Chance of snow overnight and first thing in the morning
Attachments
Capture.JPG

wmb
Chief Area Forecaster
Altitude: 40

Post by wmb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Every forecast I've seen for the weekend changes every time I've looked at it today!

BBC hourly forecast differs from the animated graphics - first showing sleet for severla hoyurs here tomorrow, the secong showing a mostly fine day after overnight rain clears. :?

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 pm

wmb wrote:Every forecast I've seen for the weekend changes every time I've looked at it today!

BBC hourly forecast differs from the animated graphics - first showing sleet for severla hoyurs here tomorrow, the secong showing a mostly fine day after overnight rain clears. :?
I think they have struggled with this setup - a warning popped up on my phone late last night for todays snow when I,m sure many folk had gone to bed !!

Anyway another warning out for Tuesday - should get updated later today i would think
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm

as of 12noon all weather warnings for our area have been dropped

I now await the largest fall of snow of the winter ;)

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Snow warnings now out for Friday and Saturday - need height I think
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Carl M
Assistant Professor
Altitude: 7m

Post by Carl M » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Almost tempted to get the cigar box out the draw!
Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England

Issued at: Wednesday 20 March 2013 at 08:31

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0800 on Wednesday and 0800 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Throughout the period, it is expected to be cold across northern areas with temperature levels close to criteria, strong winds also giving a considerable chill. In addition, from Thursday night through into Saturday an area of rain, sleet and snow will spread from the southwest, bringing the likelihood of a significant snow event to areas from the Midlands northwards, particularly for inland areas with even just a slight elevation. Southern and southwestern areas will be a little milder for a time but temperatures are now expected to fall later, perhaps reaching criteria.

Regional breakdown
Region Risk Comments
North East England 90% Cold, especially in strong winds, icy conditions and high risk of disruptive snow.
North West England 90% Cold, especially in strong winds, icy conditions and risk of disruptive snow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drumburgh 7m AMSL (Solway Estuary)
http://www.coggabata.co.uk/weather.html

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Carl M wrote:Almost tempted to get the cigar box out the draw!
Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England

Issued at: Wednesday 20 March 2013 at 08:31

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0800 on Wednesday and 0800 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Throughout the period, it is expected to be cold across northern areas with temperature levels close to criteria, strong winds also giving a considerable chill. In addition, from Thursday night through into Saturday an area of rain, sleet and snow will spread from the southwest, bringing the likelihood of a significant snow event to areas from the Midlands northwards, particularly for inland areas with even just a slight elevation. Southern and southwestern areas will be a little milder for a time but temperatures are now expected to fall later, perhaps reaching criteria.

Regional breakdown
Region Risk Comments
North East England 90% Cold, especially in strong winds, icy conditions and high risk of disruptive snow.
North West England 90% Cold, especially in strong winds, icy conditions and risk of disruptive snow.
LOL ! :) fingers crossed, watch out for updates I guess later today or overnight
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Paul C
Professor

Post by Paul C » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Judging from the severe weather video I have just seen perhaps it should have been red for SW Cumbria !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wmb
Chief Area Forecaster
Altitude: 40

Post by wmb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Paul C wrote:Judging from the severe weather video I have just seen perhaps it should have been red for SW Cumbria !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a debate going on over on TWO Paul. I've posted the warning from last Thursday you saved. It's unbelivable Cumbria didn't even have an amber warning out.

Return to “Weather Warnings”