Cumbria Weather Forum
 Weather chat and discussion for Cumbria - Established 2nd November 2009

Index  • Wiki  • FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Seathwaite Raingauge 
 Post subject: Re: Seathwaite Raingauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm 
Weather Nut

Altitude: 183
Weather Station: Davis VPro2
Have now had a reply from Roy:

"Hi Darren,

Thank you for contacting me on roy.chetham@yahoo.co.uk.

I am a member of COL (Climatological Observer’s Link) and that is how I found the Brampton website. I was not previously aware of your Maulds Meaburn website, or the Cumbria Weather Forum or the National Weather of Atmospherics Forum but I have duly noted them all for future reference. There are clearly a lot of information, scope and contact opportunities here.

The information on my own website about the Seathwaite rain gauges was mostly taken from the pages of old volumes of “British Rainfall” particularly the Centenary editions. I have a large but incomplete collection of these old books but I have also been able to refer to copies held by other weather enthusiasts and the Meteorogical Office Archives.

I have also included snippets of information gleaned from various weather publications but in particular those written by Phillip Eden and Stephen Burt in the magazines of the Royal Meteorological Society. (see http://www.rmets.org/activities/index.php).

On browsing the Cumbria Weather Forum I noticed queries on whether rain gauges still existed at Sprinkling Tarn and Crib Goch. When I last went to the Met Office Library Archive I obtained National Grid references for a number of interesting sites.
The Stye is at NY231106 altitude 1100 feet and is still in use. I have visited this site a couple of times. Sprinkling Tarn was at NY227091 altitude 1968 feet and then moved to NY228090 but ceased entirely in 1986 so I have never identified the actual site. Ullscarf was supposed to be at NY298123 altitude 2263 feet but when I went to search the fells I could not locate it. Crib Goch was given as SH623550 altitude 2340 feet which put it in a cwm below the arĂŞte but I have never been to investigate that.

I also noticed your photographs of Seathwaite and Honister gauges both of which I have seen when walking in the mountains. Are you aware that this year is recognised as the 150th Anniversary of the founding of the British Rainfall Organisation and a special meeting is being held on 17th April? (see http://www.rmets.org/events/detail.php?ID=4381). I am going to this meeting which might prove quite interesting and I am also hoping that visits to the Seathwaite and Stye rain gauges might be organised later in the year.

It is encouraging to note the growing network of weather observers and it is important to make good use of forums like the internet and COL bulletins to exchange information and views. When I started in 1973 I knew nobody else who did it. Now there are more than a dozen in Lancashire alone and we have regular meetings to get together and talk “weather”! Perhaps we can visit Cumbria sometime?

Kind regards, Roy
(Huncoat Weather Station, between Accrington and Burnley).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
Weather Nut

Team,
an interesting and informative reply.
I did know about the BRO Rmets mtg in April, but it is in London and even if it wasn't the first day of my holiday, the Mrs. would not be impressed if I asked/told her that I was going - does sound worthwhile, but wouldn't it be nice if they did something more regional.

Also part of his reply feeds into an idea that I had had, but not yet mentioned - I had thought of asking if any of you would be interested in a get together, somewhere central if at all possible and my thoughts were around about the anniversary of the forum starting up - could be earlier or indeed twice yearly.
I would gladly organise it. Most likely to be a pub, in the evening and talk weather, CG, weather stns, websites, techinical advice, etc and put faces to names.,
we could invite the Accrington pose as well.

Paul - if you need to move this to somewhere else, please do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:55 am 
Professor

Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Darren - tks for the update. Happy for the topic to remain here.

Please feel free to add a topic in "everything else" re the "meet up" see what response you get.

Imagehttps://twitter.com/#!/pacrabtree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:24 pm 
Weather Nut

Attachment:
103_0317.jpg
103_0317.jpg [ 128.61 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Seathwaite from above - top of Sour Milk gill

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2