Membership Fee

All the important general forum announcements
Admin1
Site Admin

Membership Fee

Post by Admin1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi and a very Happy New Year to all members.

Can I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their contributions over the last 12 months and in fact since 2nd November 2009 when it first started. Without your reports and comments the forum can be a little thin on the ground, so dont hold back please post away even if you are unsure, every post is welcome.

Just a couple of things.

1. During this year, does anyone want to see anything new. Any new threads etc, or merchandise. i think I may be able to produce some t-shirts at a modest cost ?

2. Membership Fees. since the forum started in 2009 I have funded the forum myself. The cost of the web domain name, registration and hosting. A good friend of mine has provided very reasonable hosting services for which I give him a donation each year. In turn I would like all members to consider a small donation to help towards these costs. Please feel free to discuss this on the forum. I had thought of a modest £5 each. Or just a donation. Please let me know how you feel.

Thank you and keep posting

Paul C
Admin

wmb
Chief Area Forecaster
Altitude: 40
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Re: Membership Fee

Post by wmb » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Only concern is would this deter potential new contributors?

Anne
Senior Climatologist
Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV

Post by Anne » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 am

I think if you make it a 'donation' it is voluntary and would not deter new members. I'm happy to make a donation as suggested. Another forum I belong to has a traffic light system to show how the finances are progressing. When it gets to red there's a flurry of donations until its green again. Mind you there's a lot more members!
Will you do it by Paypal?
Anne

Cumbrianwolf
Junior Forecaster
Altitude: 10
Weather Station: ELDSTADE HP2004

Post by Cumbrianwolf » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Would a little add based advertising not help to cover some of the costs?
Even more so if it was tailored to the weather such as those companies that sell weather related equipment and paraphernalia.
Not that I mind occasionally dipping my hand in my pocket to help.

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by Paul C » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:11 pm

I had decided not to ask for any subscription charges, but this may have to be reviewed as Steve, my hosting friend is retiring so the free hosting has to end. Running a forum is not a costly thing but adds up from time to time, I have to renew the domain name for example. If I have to switch to a new hosting company this may add to that cost.

How about if I added a voluntary paypal donation button. You could pay just 50p or £10, whatever you feel the site deserves ? - I dont really want to have adverts.

Anne
Senior Climatologist
Altitude: 31
Weather Station: Davis VV

Post by Anne » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Happy to donate when you add a button.
Anne

Return to “Announcements”