New anemometer and windvane

embayweather
Area Forecaster
Altitude: 10
Weather Station: Labjack

New anemometer and windvane

Post by embayweather » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:00 pm

So after some two and half years of planning, fifty years of waiting and two days of work, I finally got my big Munro wind vane and anemometer up on the pole. A little bit of software adjustment and a fair bit of electronic 'adjustments' and I was receiving data in the computer. Only to notice that the pole was now leaning over at a very unvertical angle and was threatening to come crashing down. Eventually got it wound down and safe for now. It seems that my calculations for the support were not inclusive enough, so back to the drawing board.
Question is do I now return to the status quo with the smaller device, or do some serious re enforcing on the pole. Keep watching for the next exciting episode.

Mike
Attachments
Munro.jpg
Bolton le Sands

Paul C
Professor
Altitude: 117m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Re: New anemometer and windvane

Post by Paul C » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 am

I had thought of an old scaffolding pole to increase the height of mine, but supporting it has always been the issue. Dont really want massive guide wires all over the place

Good look with the project

Cumbrianwolf
Junior Forecaster
Weather Station: ELDSTADE HP2004

Post by Cumbrianwolf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:39 pm

As an amateur radio operator poles and masts are my thing and for such a set up as yours a good three way guy clamps and some Kevlar rope will work a treat and offer very little visual effect as you will not need much more than around 50kg breaking strain on such an item with very low wind loading.

embayweather
Area Forecaster
Weather Station: Labjack

Post by embayweather » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:11 pm

ITS DONE! After weeks of getting things done to the wall clamp, various travails getting the pole transferred to its new homw. Turning the whole assembly around, rewiring. Secured with steel or Kevlar anchors as well as a very hefty wall bracket which weighs nearly as much as the mast its working.
Of course it wasn't that easy. I am sure everyone has noticed when you put in a new sensor, what you want to measure just isn't there. In this case, wind. I have had to wait a few days for some wind to start up the anemometer (5 mph start up speed). today its happened so the new vane and anemometer are in service. A fifty year wait to get one of these in my back garden and working is at an end.
Its all finished built. What next? I can sit back and relax can't I? Well I just have to build an electronic soil temperature sensor set, so I can do everything remotely from wherever I am in the world. then its finished.

Mike
Bolton le Sands

Carl M
Assistant Professor
Altitude: 7m
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by Carl M » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 am

Well done Mike!

Any pics most welcome :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drumburgh 7m AMSL (Solway Estuary)